Heaven and Earth Qigong
July 13 - July 17
For Beginners and Experienced Students
Heaven and Earth Qigong is a 3,000-year-old exercise system designed to clear stagnant energy, heal body imbalances, progressively release bound or stuck tissues and negative emotions, and sharpen your focus and mental processing.
It is one of the most popular qigongs in the Energy Arts System because it is easy to learn and its benefits can be experienced almost immediately. It is one of the core exercises that anyone serious about internal arts will want to train deeply.
Heaven and Earth consists of a relatively-simple and rhythmical two-part movement. You stand and repeatedly bend and extend your arms, legs, torso, spine and neck—up and down, and forward and back. This repetition relaxes, elongates and otherwise stimulates all of your soft tissues, which awakens and strengthens the natural “pulsings” within your joints, blood vessels, body cavities, internal organs, muscles, ligaments, tendons, bones, and brain which are essential for their health and optimal functioning.
In China, Master Frantzis found no other simple exercise as powerful as Heaven and Earth Qigong for promoting balance and vitality. It is used in China to relieve back, neck and joint problems, and to mitigate conditions such as arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome.
The rhythmical physical movements of Heaven and Earth are extremely powerful in and of themselves. Once you know the physical form well, you can then go deeper and deeper into the exercise and learn a progression of ever-more sophisticated and effective methods for moving qi within your body, emotions, mind and spirit. This progression includes learning:
- Sophisticated body alignments
- Taoist breathing techniques
- Bending and stretching acupuncture meridian lines and related soft tissues
- Twisting and wrapping soft tissues
- Open and closing (a.k.a. pulsing) the joints, body cavities, etc.
- Lengthening (yin-yang flows) along the arms, legs, torso, spine and head
- Techniques for working with the etheric qi field around the body
- Feeling, moving and transforming internal energies within and outside the body
- Macrocosmic and microcosmic qi circulations
- Outer dissolving and releasing blocked energy
- Techniques for working with the internal organs
- Techniques for working with your lower tantien
- Techniques for working with the left, right, and central channels of energy
Heaven and Earth is easily practiced on the go, and is one of the best ways to learn key skills that you can then incorporate into all of the other practices in the Energy Arts System. For example, if you are a practitioner of tai chi or other energy arts, it is easier to first learn key physical and energetic skills within the simple, repetitive movements of Heaven and Earth, and then carry them into practice of your tai chi, bagua, or other format.
Single Course Price – $895.00 / After June 1 – $995.00
Bundled with Wu Style Tai Chi Event- $2,495.00 / After June 1 – $2,745.00
Complete 4 Week Summer Retreat Package – $3,295.00 / After June 1 – $3,595.00
This course will be taught by Energy Arts Senior Instructors Paul Cavel, Craig Barnes and Bill Ryan. Each have studied and taught Heaven and Earth Qigong for between 25-35yrs directly with Master Frantzis.
Master Frantzis will occasionally drop in on the classes to observe and offer suggestions for students. He will also offer regular Taoist Meditation sessions during the course to complement Heaven and Earth practice.
Three tracks of study will be offered to ensure that new and beginning students receive a solid grounding in the fundamentals that make more refined training possible, while existing students receive support weeding out personal weaknesses and moving along their path.
Track 1 – Form Instruction
Open to Everyone
Attendees in this group will learn how to practice a clean, precise and relaxed Heaven and Earth form while adhering to the Taoist Principle of Separate and Combine to naturally stimulate the various and essential qi flows of the body. As you work through this process, you will learn methods for deeply relaxing, opening and integrating the many aspects of your body, while remaining rooted and grounded in the present moment.
These techniques are why Heaven and Earth is regarded as “healing qigong,” a powerful and effective 3,000-year-old exercise system from China.
Track 1 students will learn:
- Body alignments
- Choreography of the form
- Keeping all parts of your body continuously engaged
- Bending and extending your arms and legs, and their soft tissues
- Weight shifting in unison with the movements
- Folding and squatting with your kwa
- Hooking (craning) your neck and head to open your spine
- Turning the soft tissues of your forearms
- Generally relaxing your body and mind
- Relaxed breathing from your diaphragm
- How to maintain a consistent focus on your movements.
Track 2 – Form Refinement
Must meet prerequisite
Prerequisite: On the first day of the course, you must demonstrate that you have embodied the list of Heaven and Earth material to be taught in Track 1.
In this track, you will learn how to further relax and refine your Heaven and Earth movements so as to greatly increase their smoothness and coherency, as well as the satisfaction and benefits you receive from your practice.
Track 2 students may learn:
- Making your movements truly circular and continuous.
- Developing hyper-coordination of your body, so that the movements of all parts of your body are coordinated and you truly embody the tai chi principle “one part moves, all parts move.”
- Learning to move with gravity to release, relax and stretch/lengthen your soft tissues.
- Turning the soft tissues of your arms from your spine to your fingers.
- Softly relaxing your eyes and developing your peripheral vision.
- Deeply relaxing your whole body simultaneously, shedding tension and stagnancy.
- Relaxed breathing from all parts of your belly.
- Maintaining a relaxed physical balance at all times.
- Maintaining a sense of openness and sponginess in all parts of your body at all times.
- Feeling and balancing blood circulation in your body – right and left, top and bottom, front and back.
- Developing relaxed mindful presence to your movements.
- Initiating and guiding all movements of your body from your hips and legs.
Track 3 – Soft-Tissue and Breathing Neigong Techniques
By Application Only
Prerequisite: On the first day of the course, you must demonstrate that you have embodied the list of Heaven and Earth material to be taught in Track 2. You will not benefit from this course if you cannot do the foundational material that precedes it. Consistent with this focus, this track will be open only to those who are accepted and then meet the prerequisite. You may request to participate in this track by completing the application form that you will receive via email after checkout. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. Your application must be received by July 1, 2020.
Participation in this track is solely at the discretion of Master Frantzis based on his assessment of your capacity and what will most benefit you. All Level 2 Certified Heaven and Earth Qigong Instructors are accepted.
In past years, Master Frantzis generally taught neigong (“internal development”) techniques within Heaven and Earth in an open course format. In those years his purpose in doing so was to help people develop better health and, for those interested, martial power and skills. With the establishment of the Training Center, he has turned his neigong teaching focus toward helping people use neigong as a stepping stone to and tool for Taoist Water Tradition spiritual development, including spiritual martial arts.
In Track 3, you will learn specific soft-tissue and breathing neigong in order to root out weaknesses and errors in your practices, hone and refine your skills, and balance and integrate the internal-qi content with the outer form.
The level of material presented will reflect the ability of the group. However, if certain individuals show skill in a particular neigong, they will be given additional input to move them along in their personal development.
Specific material presented in this track includes:
- How the Heaven and Earth form naturally ignites specific neigong.
- Bending and stretching the acupuncture meridian related soft tissues – the baseline for neigong movement and the necessary prerequisite to moving beyond superficial pulsing techniques.
- Energetically penetrating your legs.
- Breathing within Heaven and Earth.
- Turning and twisting your soft tissues.
- Working with the C-Curve of the spine and the spinal ligaments.
- The yin-yang energetic dichotomy and how to grow your capacity
- How the internal and the external become one.
Training Progression: 2020 to 2022
This summer marks an inspiring shift within the Energy Arts community that will create opportunities to study more deeply than ever before! Events will now be more intentionally grouped from year to year, allowing you to receive the preparatory and reinforcement training necessary to grow your skill set and take your practice to the next level.
This summer’s course has been designed as the first installment of an intended three-year progression in Heaven and Earth Qigong. Two more events are planned for 2021 and 2022. Each year’s training will build upon the previous year’s, culminating in a Heaven and Earth Qigong intensive training with an optional instructor track. Learn more about this progression here: A New Training Model to Deepen Your Experience.
Registration/Check-in: July 13 (Monday), 9:00-10:00AM. First class 10:00AM.
Prerequisites: Please see Course Details above
Approximate daily course schedule on July 13-17 is 9:30AM-5:30PM with a two hour lunch break. Course schedule may be subject to change depending upon group dynamics.
This training course is not recommended for those with any kind of mental health issues or major medical problems. We simply do not have the resources to handle these needs.
Please note: The practice of Taoist energy arts may carry risks. The organizers are very concerned to ensure that the training is a positive experience for every participant. If for any reason whatsoever Bruce and/or his assistants deem that there may be any potential safety risks for you during this training, you will be asked to leave the course and suspend training immediately.
If this occurs you will be refunded a prorated course fee. All other expenses that you may have incurred, including lodging and travel will be your sole responsibility and Energy Arts will not be responsible for these expenses.