70% Rule

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

In my hips and shoulder blades one side of my body has a much greater range of motion than the other. When applying the 70% rule to movements on my weaker limb/side should I also reduce the range of movement on my stronger side to 70% of the weaker side in order to maintain balance in my postures and focus on developing the weaker side, or should I practise over a different range of movement on each side?
    The former makes more sense to me, especially when applied to joints in the legs, as this will maintain an even height and balance, any comments?

Just as an after thought, my process of ‘discovery’ might be useful to someone.

I noticed the difference in range in my shoulder blades when extending both arms simutaneously to the front (an, commencement). On the weaker side my elbow starts to rotate upwards as I approach full extension. I was aware of this but what I didn’t notice until recently was that when I held my elbow facing the ground my neck pulled to the side to relieve the pressure. Now I can feel where, when and how the alignment is breaking I can apply the 70% rule properly.

With the hip issue, I have been working on that area for some time and made some modest progress, the other day I wore an old pair of shoes and felt pressure on my ankle when walking. On checking the sole, the wear was uneven and had developed when my hip was less aligned than it is now. So when my hip is aligned, it is like walking across an incline. The shoes have developed an ‘imprint’ of my misalignment and are therefore no good to me now.
    Chris

Anonymous

….yes, my understanding is definitely to balance your 70% completely in favour of the weaker side. Interesting observation on shoe wear. I had a hip replacement a couple of years ago. Prior to that the gradual decrepitation and collapse of the damaged hip joint had caused significant leg shortening, and all sorts of gait/pain issues that were difficult to balance out in my work-a-day life. Following the surgery I threw away all my shoes for the same reason.

Anonymous

Christopher,

Well put! You nailed the description of the 70% principle for balance and explained very clearly the process of uncovering an imbalance in subtle ways.

I hope others take note.

Thanks,
    Dan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This is an archived forum (read only). Go to our active forum where you can post and discuss in real time.

Pin It on Pinterest